Heat and comforting candy potato lentil stew is full of veggies and superb taste. Prepared in an hour, this vegan stew is ideal for cold fall and winter days.
We’re huge followers of vegetarian soup recipes like minestrone soup, hearty vegetable soup, and roasted butternut squash soup, and this candy potato lentil stew is a scrumptious addition to the lineup!
That includes protein-packed lentils and excessive fiber veggies, this stew has unbelievable texture and comfortable taste. It comes collectively rapidly and simply, too – no pre-soaking required for the lentils and it takes simply 40 minutes to prepare dinner on the range. This recipe makes a giant batch to take pleasure in all week lengthy, freeze for later, or share with buddies.
“Scrumptious!! Smells and tastes unbelievable. Loads of leftovers. A brand new fall favourite. Love the crunchy veggies, the kale on the finish. Mmm!!!” – Stephanie
What You Want for Candy Potato Lentil Stew
This hearty stew is loaded with recent, nutrient-dense veggies. Whether or not you’re a vegetarian or not, you’ll love this stew recipe!
Listed below are only a few elements that shine on this recipe:
Lentils + Beans: Each add numerous plant-based protein to this stew. Purple lentils are nice for fast soup recipes as a result of they’re cut up and prepare dinner sooner than different sorts of lentils. Add the beans close to the top of the prepare dinner time to stop them from overcooking and falling aside.
Potatoes + Carrots: We love including carrots and candy potatoes to soup recipes as a result of they add a welcome texture and maintain their form even after cooking.
Mushrooms: Mushrooms are an amazing addition to vegetarian meals. They’ve a meaty texture that goes nicely in stews and chilis.
Spices: This soup is so cozy because of loads of heat spices and flavors like chili powder, cumin, curry powder, oregano, and smoked paprika.
Apple Cider Vinegar: A splash of apple cider vinegar provides a scrumptious tartness and brightness to our soup, stew, and chili recipes.
Kale: Contemporary kale provides shade and freshness.
Candy Potato Lentil Stew Substitutions
Like so a lot of our soup recipes, this stew is customizable to your style preferences and what elements you’ve got readily available. As a substitute of:
- Purple lentils: use the identical quantity of yellow lentils. Another form of lentil will take too lengthy to prepare dinner on this particular recipe.
- Candy potatoes: use cauliflower or every other dense root vegetable like white potatoes or parsnips.
- Chili powder, cumin, and paprika: use 3-4 tablespoons of our selfmade chili seasoning.
- White northern beans: use your favourite form of beans. Chickpeas, navy beans, or kidney beans would all be scrumptious swaps.
- Apple cider vinegar: use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Kale: use the identical quantity of freshly chopped spinach.
Do it’s essential to soak the lentils first?
You don’t want to pre-soak pink lentils for this lentil stew. Purple lentils are already cut up and the prepare dinner time for this stew is ideal for this sort of lentil.
Are you able to make this stew in a gradual cooker?
Sure! Skip sautéing the elements and easily add every little thing to your gradual cooker. Cook dinner on excessive for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
This recipe makes an enormous batch of stew! Retailer leftover candy potato lentil stew in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
Tips on how to Freeze Candy Potato Lentil Stew.
Should you don’t need to have lentil stew day-after-day for a complete week, freeze it! Let the stew cool fully earlier than transferring it to freezer-safe containers. Freeze for as much as 3 months. For all the nitty-gritty particulars about freezing stew, try our put up all about methods to freeze soup.
Who doesn’t love receiving a scrumptious meal? Whether or not you’ve got a good friend in want or know somebody who would merely recognize a wholesome meal, share it! Make a batch of this candy potato lentil stew, switch it into these meal prep containers, and ship it to your individuals.
What to Serve with Stew
Candy Potato Lentil Stew
Hearty and protein-packed candy potato lentil stew is prepared on the stovetop in 1 hour. It is heat, comforting, and flavorful!
Cook dinner:40 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 giant candy potatoes lower into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 giant carrots lower into cash
- 4 medium stalks celery chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1/2 giant yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons floor cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon floor oregano or dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon floor pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup pink lentils dried
- 4 oz. inexperienced chiles
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 15 oz. diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 15 oz. white northern beans drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chopped kale
Place olive oil in a big stockpot or dutch oven and warmth over medium/excessive warmth.
When olive oil is aromatic, add candy potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms, onion, garlic, and salt.
Sauté for round 10 minutes. Then, add the remainder of the elements (besides the white beans and kale) and produce to a boil over medium/excessive warmth.
As soon as boiling, cut back warmth to low and canopy. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
Then, combine within the white beans and kale. Cowl and produce to a boil once more over medium/excessive warmth.
As soon as boiling, flip all the way down to low and let simmer for one more 20 minutes or till the lentils are absolutely cooked.
Ideas & Notes
- Storage: Retailer leftover stew in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- Freezing Directions: Let the stew cool fully earlier than transferring it to freezer-safe containers. Freeze for as much as 3 months.
- Gradual Cooker Directions: Skip sautéing the elements and easily add every little thing to your gradual cooker. Cook dinner on excessive for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- This recipe was up to date on 9/23/19.
Energy: 224kcal Carbohydrates: 35g Protein: 11g Fats: 12g Fiber: 11g Sugar: 7g