You’ll love this low-calorie dessert when you’re going apple selecting and wish some apple recipes. Utilizing phyllo dough sheets makes the most effective mild crust for apple turnovers with minimal effort, and you may simply double or triple the recipe to serve a crowd. For extra apple recipes, attempt my apple bread, home made applesauce, and this scrumptious apple butter.
Apple Turnovers Elements
- Apples: Peel, core, and chop one pound of Gala apples.
- Raisins: I used golden raisins, that are a little bit sweeter and moister than common raisins.
- Cinnamon for a heat fall taste
- Salt: I like Diamond Crystal kosher salt. In case you use desk salt, use 1/8 of a teaspoon.
- Sweetener: Use two tablespoons of brown sugar, or if you wish to scale back the added sugar, attempt brown monk fruit.
- Cornstarch thickens the apple combination to forestall the turnovers from getting soggy.
- Phyllo Dough: Thaw eight sheets of phyllo dough.
- Olive Oil Spray moistens the phyllo dough and helps the turnovers flip golden when baked.
- Powdered Sugar to sprinkle on the pastries earlier than serving
Learn how to Make Apple Turnovers
- Apple Turnover Filling: Put the apples, raisins, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a nonstick skillet over medium warmth. Cowl and prepare dinner for about quarter-hour till the apples are simply starting to melt.
- Cornstarch: Stir the cornstarch into the apples.
- Lower Phyllo Dough: Take the phyllo out of the bundle and canopy it with a humid kitchen towel. Put one sheet of dough in your slicing board and spray evenly with oil. Prime with one other sheet and spray once more. Lower the phyllo in half, lengthy methods, so you might have two stacks of lengthy, slender strips.
- Fill and Fold the Turnovers: Put three tablespoons of apple filling at one finish of every stack. Fold one nook up and over the filling to surround it in a triangle, and proceed folding the triangle over itself till you attain the opposite finish. Spray the highest evenly with oil, and switch the turnover seam- aspect right down to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the opposite phyllo stack, after which repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 to 32 minutes till the phyllo is golden and crispy.
- Serve: Let the turnovers cool on the baking sheet for a minimum of 10 minutes. Then, mud with powdered sugar earlier than consuming.
- Apples: Swap Galas with Honeycrisp apples.
- Raisins: Substitute common brown raisins with golden ones.
- Lowered Sugar: If you’re watching added sugar, omit the powdered sugar.
- Double or triple the apple turnover recipe when you’re serving these at a celebration.
Apple pies and turnovers have comparable apple fillings, however the crust and baking dish differ. Turnovers are made with phyllo or puff pastry and are a small, handheld dessert baked on a sheet pan. Apple pies use pie dough and are baked in a big pie dish.
I used phyllo dough for these mild apple turnovers. Usually, apple turnover recipes name for puff pastry.
Puff pastry will get its puffy layers from plenty of butter, whereas phyllo dough is lighter, thinner, and flakier and makes use of a little bit oil and no butter.
In case you’re serving these apple turnovers for a celebration, right here’s what you are able to do upfront:
Make the filling a day forward. You possibly can additionally bake them as much as a day early and heat them within the oven for 5 minutes earlier than serving.
Retailer apple turnovers at room temperature for someday or within the fridge for five days. Allow them to cool fully earlier than inserting them in an hermetic container to keep away from getting soggy.
You may also freeze apple turnovers for as much as three months. To reheat, thaw them within the fridge and heat them within the microwave or toaster oven. In case you don’t have time to thaw the pastries, warmth them up from frozen till heated by way of.
Extra Apple Recipes You’ll Love
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Measurement: 1 turnover
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a nonstick skillet over medium warmth, prepare dinner the apples, raisins, sugar, cinnamon, and salt, lined till the apples are simply starting to melt, about quarter-hour. Switch to a big bowl.
Combine the cornstarch into the apples and stir to evenly coat.
Take the phyllo dough out of the packaging and preserve lined with a humid kitchen towel.
Put one sheet of phyllo dough in your slicing board and spray evenly with oil. Prime with one other sheet and spray once more. Halve the great distance so you might have two stacks of lengthy, slender strips.
Put 3 tablespoons of the apple filling at one finish of a stack. Fold one nook up and over the filling to surround it in a triangle. Proceed folding the triangle over itself (like the way you fold a flag) till you attain the opposite finish. Spray the highest evenly with oil, then switch the turnover to the baking sheet, with the seam aspect down. Repeat with the opposite stack, then repeat with the remaining phyllo and filling.
Bake till the phyllo is golden and crisp, about 30 to 32 minutes.
Let cool for a minimum of 10 minutes on the baking sheet, then mud with powdered sugar earlier than serving.
Please depart a score and remark letting us understand how you favored this recipe! This helps our enterprise to thrive and proceed offering free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 turnover, Energy: 111 kcal, Carbohydrates: 24 g, Protein: 1.5 g, Fats: 1 g, Saturated Fats: 0.5 g, Sodium: 129 mg, Fiber: 2 g, Sugar: 11.5 g